Stratford is a middle ring suburb that is growing in popularity. It is located 6 kilometres from the CBD, on the northern slopes of Lumley Hill, and to the west of the airport. The Barron River is located to the north of the suburb. The suburb is divided into north and south by Stratford Parade (Kamerunga Road) and the railway line, with industrial and sporting activities concentrated on the northern side of the suburb and residential and retail (commercial) activities on the southern side. A boat yard and boat ramp is also located on this northern side and is accessed by the broader Cairns community. Stratford is about 15mins drive north of Cairns CBD and about 5mins drive from the airport.
• Stratford has a hotel and a number of restaurants and a range of community spaces and facilities, including parks and a library. There is also a post office and a community hall. There is a soccer park and sports clubhouse on the northern edge of the suburb (other side of the railway line), as well as a bowls club.
• The Stratford community hub includes a general practitioner and a pharmacy.
• The shopping hub at Stratford includes a butcher, a convenience store, a newsagent, a hair salon and a beauty salon. There is also a St Vinnie’s Second Hand Store.
• There are no child care centres or schools in Stratford; however the surrounding suburbs of Freshwater, Brinsmead & Redlynch have an abundance of both schools & childcare facilities.
• Sunbus services this area and taxis are also available. The railway line is only used for freight and tourist trains (the Kuranda Train), and there are no railway stations.