Kamerunga is an established residential area on the western edge of the Cairns Local Government Area. The natural environment is a key feature of the suburb, including the nearby Barron Gorge. The Douglas Track starts and ends in the suburb, at Stoney Creek, and provides a link to Kuranda. The Stoney Creek National Park and Rainforest Estate provide links to many bushwalks in the local area.
• The population consists mainly of families and commuters who have chosen to live there for ‘lifestyle’.
• Transport Technology Park is the main park in the area.
• There are no medical facilities in Kamerunga. The nearest services are in Redlynch to the south and in Smithfield, about 10mins drive to the north
• There is no shopping in this suburb. The closest convenience stores are in Caravonica; about 5mins drive north or Redlynch, about 5mins drive south-west.
• There are no schools in Kamerunga. The adjacent suburb of Redlynch offers a number of schools including state primary, a Catholic college (Prep-12) and a Christian college in Brinsmead.
• There is no public transport service in the area although taxis area available if booked in advance.