Yorkeys Knob is one of the Cairns city’s northern suburban beaches, approximately 15 kilometres from the CBD. The area is predominantly low-lying cane fields and wetlands, with the residential settlement on the coastline. The Yorkeys Knob Yacht Club is located here and the area off-shore is often used for anchorage by large cruise ships. Yorkeys Knob is about 23mins drive north of Cairns CBD.
• Yorkeys Knob has several community facilities, including a
Community Centre Park (which includes a community hall, SES
centre and a playgroup) and a range of parks, including the
foreshore. There is a stinger-net enclosure on the beach at
• Yorkeys Knob has no medical services however the adjacent
suburb of Smithfield, about 11mins drive north, has a medical,
dental and pathology services. The nearest hospital is Cairns
Base Hospital about 23mins drive south of Yorkeys Knob.
• Yorkeys Knob features a diverse community shopping centre,
including a bottle shop, takeaway food shops and a post office.
• Yorkeys Knob has a community kindergarten, as well as a state
primary school. There is a state high school in the adjacent
suburb of Smithfield.
• Sunbus and taxis service this area.