Cairns City is the central business section of the city of Cairns. Cairns has a mixture of land uses and activities, with commerce, recreation, and residential features. The area is constantly changing with new developments replacing existing or historical activities. Important areas in Cairns City are Munro Martin Park, which has cultural significance to the traditional owners of Cairns, Fogarty Park, the port area, and the old 'red light district' (China Town) in Grafton Street.
• Local business including, lawyers & solicitors, accountants, real estate agents, hairdressers, jewellery, beauty salons, etc.
• 5-star hotels
• Central Railway Station
• Civic Theatre
• Number of Art galleries
• Cairns City Library
• Full range of medical & dental services including pathology labs, x-ray & scanning services, 24 hour medical clinics and a plastic surgeon.
• Two major hospitals, Cairns Base Hospital and Cairns Private Hospital
• Cairns Central Shopping Centre with major outlets including Myer, Target, Coles, etc
• The Pier is another major shopping centre with luxury fashion, five-star eateries, a bookshop and the Shangri-La Hotel.
• Two ABC learning Centres
• All girls Catholica High School, several Catholic Primary School, Cairns State Hight School
• Public Transport